Search This Blog

Saturday 13 August 2011

5 Film Lines That Always Bring The Tears

We All Love A Good Cry
There are moments in the best of films that burrow deep into our minds and find the thing that truly moves us, and then presents those things to us in the most brilliantly executed manner. Then like any great scare in a horror film, all you need to see after the first viewing is that short line and you are welling up again. These are my favourites. There are spoilers here so please don't read unless you've seen it because these are five brilliant films and if you don't know them they will probably make no sense but end up ruining it for you, which wont be nice.



Monsters Inc: You can cry from sadness but tears of joy are always so much nicer and this film knocks it out of the park with just one word at the very end "Kitty"  


Shaun of the Dead: Shaun, Liz and Ed are locked down in the Pubs Cellar. Zombies clawing at the hatch. Shaun and Liz contemplating suicide. But wait, there is hope, an elevator to get out onto the street. But Ed has been bitten and tells Shaun to leave him, after all he will just slow them down. He hands over the shotgun and apologizes for shouting at him earlier. "I'm sorry too" Says Ed "It's okay" "no, I'm sorry Shaun" "owhh" "I'll stop doing it when you stop laughing"
"I'm not laughing" When Shaun says that my heart splits in two. The most amazing thing is that this moment takes place after the return of the fart gag, but this only serves to illustrate the friend that Ed was to Shaun.


The Three Colours-White: Okay it's not a line but sign language is a form of speech so it counts goddamn it. He has set her up, she's in the prison (or mad house) and she looks down at him and signs "When I get out of here you and I will stay here and get married" then we see the man that we supported throughout the film and now, he gets his satisfaction and you hate him, you scream at him "I hope you are happy now you massive f**k" 


Gone With The Wind: It's actually the length of this film that really makes this line so awful and soul destroying. You follow Scarlett and Rhett throughout the entire film and feel like you know their struggle and their relationship  through and through but then it all blows up. Rhett buggers off "Here take my  handkerchief, Never in any in your life have I known you to have a handkerchief" (such a badass thing to say) Then she is on her own and I feel as if you see her break down right in front of your eyes and you don't need to see anymore to know that she is now as crazy as crazy can be. "After all, tomorrows another day" Chilling. Maybe I have misinterpreted this ending scene, but that's how I see it, and I love it.


Toy Story 3: For those of us who saw Toy Story when we were the age of Andy and went on to grown up with him, having the 3rd film set around the time Andy is moving off to college (at the time we were all doing the same) made this last installment so much more relevant and seemingly personal. The final scene of this film is made all the more emotional because of this and all the more special as there is only one generation that will ever get this level of awesome from this movie. So as I sat next to some kids trying as hard as I could to hold back the impending stream of tears and Andy finally pulls Woody out of the box and felt like I knew what he was gonna say "Now Woody, he's been my pal for as long as I can remember." (Mine too, I thought) "He's brave, like a cowboy should be" (God Andy you have no freaking idea) "...and kind and smart.But the thing that makes Woody special, is that he'll never give up on you, ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what" Just read that again. Bloody hell, kills me now, and I am just recalling it. The perfect ending, and at one point I thought they were gonna burn.


Of course this list is totally personal and I guarantee I've missed some killer lines. What film lines kill your little heart?


JO

No comments:

Post a Comment