Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Sam's Film Of 2011

My Film Of 2011
Kill List
Ben Wheatley’s incredible Kill List smacked me right in the heart, mind and face this year by delivering the sort of film I’d been willing Britain to produce for absolutely ages. It was smart, clever, brutal, funny, visceral and left me literally quaking in my boots come the thrilling finale. Kill List was a very special film and will be the film I most remember when looking back on 2011. Just writing about it gives me goosebumps.

Best of the Rest
Tyrannosaur
Paddy Considine’s incredible directorial debut. Powerful, brilliant and uncompromising.
Drive
Achingly cool film starring Man of 2011 Ryan “I’d definitely go gay for him” Gosling.
True Grit
The Coens make a western starring an eye patch wearing Jeff Bridges. Perfection.
Submarine
Richard Ayoade’s sublime debut feature. Oozing with style, laughs and genius; Cracking film.
Source Code
Duncan Jones’ second feature is a brainy, brilliant, blistering slice of action excellence. 

Most Annoyed I Missed
Jurassic Park Re-Release 
I’m absolutely unbearably gutted that I missed the re-release of Jurassic Park. That would’ve been amazing, seeing all those dinosaurs dino’ing about on the big screen. Seeing Newman from Seinfeld running away from that spitting dinosaur, Samuel L. Jackson smoking in high definition, Velociraptors doing their thang. Man, absolutely gutted. 

Honorable Mentions
-Blue Valentine (I do now have it on DVD so it’s not all lost) 
-The Fighter
-TT: Closer to the Edge (especially after the surprise love of Senna) 
-The Lion King re-release. 

Most Anticipated Of 2012
Next year looks set to be an absolute corker. I’m already quite excited about this time next year when I can write about how I’d hate to have Bane round for tea. So rather than have a definitve winner of this category here comes my top five, in no particular order. 
The Dark Knight Rises 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKUqLcvD8 need I say more
The Avengers 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatgnqdIefs need I say more 
Shame 
Steve McQueen (not that one) Fassbender, Mulligan, hard hitting, need I say more.
The Artist 
The kind of film where I worry that they went into my brain opened the drawer marked “Awesome films I’d love to see” and made it happen.
THE MUPPETS!!! 
Seriously, it’s the flipdamn muppets!

1 comment:

  1. I will remember fondly Sam Oliver watching Kill List and at the "Good" bits sitting there staring with his mouth open..Just get me a hammer.

    ReplyDelete