Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Frances Ha

I love Frances Ha.


I think rule one of reviewing is to not reveal your opinion so blatantly but fuck it. This is my blog and I can use it to say what I want. Today that thing is Frances Ha is awesome and we should all go see it. Right now, in one big happy group.

Frances has a best friend Sophie. Sophie is pretty neat, seems to have her life sorted whilst Frances is still stuck in that student head space. Bad with money and bad with work. The film is all about Frances during a turbulent point in her life as she loses touch with Sophie and is forced into staying as she is or growing up.

For a short time Frances Ha seems simple. Far too simple. I sat wondering what it was it was trying to tell me. But then suddenly you are completely absorbed. Greta Gerwig plays Frances so stripped back and the film in general is so naturalistic it's hard not to feel voyeuristic as you watch the day to day events unfold. It's a constantly moving plot though. Important things are always happening and though it seems to have a considered, slow pace like any other Noah Baumbach film, it's relentless. The film just goes along in its own world and you feel blessed to be in on the ride.


Visually it's stunning. Every frame speaks volumes to what is going on and it certainly justifies its black and white colour palette. It's utterly hilarious as well. The kind of belly laughs that it offers you don't really expect from this kind of indie comedy. Relatable is for some reason a word I detest and yet I struggle to think of another word to describe this film. This is your life. And if it isn't its the person sitting next to you's life.

The one problem I have is that I loved it. And it's hard to see how others couldn't. Know what you are getting into. A cool, indie, American comedy aimed specifically at layabout post teens. If you hate that then no, this ain't your thing. If you don't know if you hate that then dude, give it a crack! And if you love that then you've already seen this film and you know that its radical.

Cause it is the shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment